Love is the subject for today's letter. Only because of the lessons I'm learning, no drama haha.
Yesterday officially marked the end of my culture training in the UK, essentially it's the exact same thing as the training I did in North Dakota so there have been slight frustrations with how long it has gone on but it's all good now.
Last night we had a call with everyone leaving training and one of the questions asked was, "How do we make our friends keep commitments?" and the answer that came to my mind was to love them. When we truly love people, what comes with it is high expectations because we know the things we invite them to do will bring them happiness. We truly will feel sad when they are unable to keep commitments. In those moments of desperation is where we can find answers! When we truly believe in what we teach we will find a way to help those friends keep commitments. There can be no selfish motive, no seeing for glory. Those are sandy foundations. We need to ground ourselves in the love of our Savior. Then we will find a way. No matter what. For my friends back home the acronym is F.A.W. and N.M.W. Love you guys and hope all was well last week. Let's talk about the week in Newbury.
Monday- Some members had us over for a Christmas party and totally spoiled us. It was so fun! England likes some interesting food for the holiday haha but the weather is never in the negatives so I'm happy. I'm here for this weather.
Tuesday- I met some super awesome ward members! I had dinner with Sister Aferdita and her friends. So awesome they are so funny! The food was also really good. They all come from different countries. One of them spoke spanish and we had a great conversation. Anyone who was in my Spanish 2 class or heard the rumors about my fluent Spanish know that it was very one-sided with me talking like a toddler, but I was surprised I knew what she was saying. I can thank Tanner for saying the dumbest things in Spanish because those are the only words I remember.
Wednesday- We were supposed to meet with Deillo to finish getting him ready for baptism but that didn't happen so we pushed back his baptismal date a little bit, so keep him in your prayers!
Thursday- We set up another appointment with Deillo but it didn't work out again. So we just had dinner with brother Joff, the ex-boxer military guy. Easily my favorite member here. He drove us to go pick up a heavy bag so now I can work out. So happy with that!
Friday- We went to a big fair with Roy and Darren, also two top tier members, except one of them is not a member haha. They are so awesome! Every member here is so good. The fair had some original steam engines and a lot of antiques. We saw the bishop and his family there and they're awesome too! Their oldest son is 12 or 13 and super polite. It's so funny. Also I'm not trying to show off but I did just use there they're and their in 2 sentences properly so yea I'm moving up in life.
Saturday- Market Day! So so busy! So many people in the high street and so many stands. People will sell you anything. It was so fun! Not too much to report that day.
Sunday- We had church and ward council, I got to tell them about the church implementing service missionaries in the UK! So excited for the opportunity to further missionary work here! We then went to a stake Christmas event with Roy and Deillo! I got to see my friends from the Hayes ward! Miss them so much, so good to see them!
Love you all so much! Missing home this week!
Elder Hixon


No comments:
Post a Comment