Monday, August 24, 2020

It's as Easy as a Clipboard!

Hey y'all!! 


This week was amazing! We were able to seal the deal with Jayda and she passed her baptismal interview so we are going to have another one this Saturday!! We are way excited for her to make such a sacred covenant with God!! 

This weekend we had the opportunity to head over to Cedar Rapids Iowa and spend the day serving and trying to fix all that the storm has done. It is still absolutely destroyed there. The derecho really came in and laid down the law!! We were able to cut down massive trees that had fallen on homes and electricity lines and just all over the place. Many many homes have been destroyed not just by trees but by the sheer winds. 


We saw houses literally torn in half because of it! It was insane. But I learned something that has stuck with me while we were serving. Towards the end of the day we started going from door to door with sheets of papers asking people what kinds of help they needed so we could assemble crews for the next day to go out and help. My companion Elder Timothy and I were using a paper plate as the back to the piece of paper we were writing on. After we talked with one house that accepted our offer to help, we left. As we were walking to the next house the man in the precious house, Mick, called out to us. He had a clipboard in his hand and gave it to us. He said "You guys are doing amazing things for us. I'm in no place to help out much but here's a clipboard to help you guys". It touched my heart so strongly. I immediately began reversing the roles. How many times am I in Mick's position? Receiving help when I am broken or in desperate need of it. But then I realized, I often times do not act like Mick. I accept the help but don't give my all even still. I feel as if I deserve to be helped. I sit back and accept the aid. But how much better I could be if I always looked to give and serve. No matter my circumstances. Mick taught me more about myself and my Savior than I think he will ever know. I hope to work and become better to be like Mick. It really can be as small and simple as a clipboard! We must lift where we stand. Whether it's lifting a lot or a little. We must lift! This world needs lifting. Let's lift like Mick!!

Love y'all

Elder Hixon 





No comments:

Post a Comment