Hey y'all!
Well, this week was crazy. Monday-Thursday we didn't have power at all because of the
Derecho that came in and WRECKED the Midwest. There were over 100,000 homes in just the 4 cities we are in charge of that were powerless. Ours was one of them of course. This storm absolutely ripped through everything. I've never seen so many uprooted trees. And these trees were HUGE! Houses were crushed and damaged. Electricity lines were damaged as well from tree fall. There were giant silos that were ripped out from place and were absolutely bent and deformed because of the violent 80-100 mph winds that tore through here. It was a beach-less hurricane! It was awesome. We played outside in it. Tried to enjoy it.
But that's enough of that. This week I really was able to learn from the example of the Stripling warriors in Come Follow Me. Yes we all know the miracles that followed them. None of them died in battle and they fought valiantly and won many battles even though they were just youth. If we look in Alma 57:27 we learn why. It says
"Now this was the faith of these of whom I have spoken; they are young, and their minds are firm, and they do put their trust in God continually."
So there are 3 things they did. They had faith, they had firm minds, and they put their trust in God continually. 2 weeks ago I wrote heavily about the 1st point, faith without works is dead but works without faith is also dead! I want to talk about the importance of having firm minds.
In Jacob 3:2 we get a better insight on what we can do if we have a firm mind. It reads,
"O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever"
I think often times when we hear the word feast we automatically think about feasting on the words of Christ. But here it talks about feasting on the love of God. His love is Jesus Christ and repentance! So the only way to really feast upon, or take great advantage of, repentance or Jesus Christ is to have a firm mind on God. I think this is huge. President Nelson promises us that as saints we can feel joy regardless of our circumstances if the focus of our lives is on the Plan of Salvation and Jesus Christ. I believe that is because this firmness of mind fruits a feast of God's love. And repentance is a joyous process. I love how simple it is! If you don't know the Plan of Salvation, learn it! Focus on it! If you don't know Jesus Christ, learn about Him and focus on Him! It is the key to joy in this life.
Love y'all. Stay FIRM!
Elder Hixon
But that's enough of that. This week I really was able to learn from the example of the Stripling warriors in Come Follow Me. Yes we all know the miracles that followed them. None of them died in battle and they fought valiantly and won many battles even though they were just youth. If we look in Alma 57:27 we learn why. It says
"Now this was the faith of these of whom I have spoken; they are young, and their minds are firm, and they do put their trust in God continually."
So there are 3 things they did. They had faith, they had firm minds, and they put their trust in God continually. 2 weeks ago I wrote heavily about the 1st point, faith without works is dead but works without faith is also dead! I want to talk about the importance of having firm minds.
In Jacob 3:2 we get a better insight on what we can do if we have a firm mind. It reads,
"O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever"
I think often times when we hear the word feast we automatically think about feasting on the words of Christ. But here it talks about feasting on the love of God. His love is Jesus Christ and repentance! So the only way to really feast upon, or take great advantage of, repentance or Jesus Christ is to have a firm mind on God. I think this is huge. President Nelson promises us that as saints we can feel joy regardless of our circumstances if the focus of our lives is on the Plan of Salvation and Jesus Christ. I believe that is because this firmness of mind fruits a feast of God's love. And repentance is a joyous process. I love how simple it is! If you don't know the Plan of Salvation, learn it! Focus on it! If you don't know Jesus Christ, learn about Him and focus on Him! It is the key to joy in this life.
Love y'all. Stay FIRM!
Elder Hixon
No comments:
Post a Comment