Monday, June 29, 2020

Try, Try. Try



Weeks are flying!! Mission time is super weird. It is honestly a different time zone that works so slowly fast. And it has been this way everywhere I've been on my mission. Georgia, Brazil, and even Covid Iowa! I believe it is the way the Lord has it for missionaries. He makes it slow for us to learn but makes it very fast for us not to suffer. It's fun. I enjoy it.

We've seen a couple of miracles this week with the people we have been teaching. It is so comforting to know that God has his hand in my life! Vanessa, a person we are teaching, is finding that changing from everything is difficult. I can only imagine the heart break. To learn and taste of such a sweet message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and desire it for yourself, yet realize there is a lot to leave behind in order to truly embrace it. I am learning a lot about the love our God has for us. We love Vanessa so much! And of course we need to ask how she's doing when we speak with her to see how she is doing in avoiding things that are harmful for her soul, and to see and a hear teary eyed young woman say "I'm trying" is the most heart warming and humbling experience. It causes me to reflect on if I'm really trying? Would I have the humble answer to meekfully say "I'm trying" when asked the same question? Would it be sincere? Am I really trying to change and become better? It is the attitude that we need to have. Remember, "A saint is a sinner that keeps on trying". Consistently trying is the way we change. It isn't always over night! President Eyering gives a fantastic talked called, "Try, Try, Try". It is a very sweet message about the importance of trying! We need to make a better effort to try. WE NEED TO TRY TO TRY!!!!

Well the world is in quite the funk huh? It's so interesting to be able to see the world through the eyes of a missionary. I'm seeing that every answer can be solved by missionary work! I'm so grateful to be a missionary at this very time to be learning these lessons.

I loved reading about Ammon this week in Come Follow Me. My favorite part(Alma 17:29) is when the servants of King Lamoni start crying because of the sheep problem and then Ammon's heart swells with joy! Why? Because he had power from on high to help encourage others and help show others where joy came from. Is this not the same power that we as members have? Shouldn't we be jumping for joy right now? Our world is physically and metaphorically "crying" right now due to all the hardships with Covid-19, riots, civil unrest, and all the other craziness of the world. It is our job, as both missionaries and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to JUMP for joy! Be excited!!! Now is such a great opportunity to show forth the power of God. To show all people that they can yet still find and feel joy and comfort through Jesus Christ. We need to show them that the true Gospel of Jesus Christ can solve all of their problems. It solved all of King Lamoni's problems and the problems of the servants of King Lamoni as well! This Gospel is for everyone. Let's get excited to share it. It is our job and there isn't a better time than right now!

I encourage all to pray and find out who it is you are supposed to find during these times of turmoil. The work is for every member and our message is for every non member. Try. Try. Try.

I love the Lord. I love my life here on earth. I love my family and I love the opportunities I've been given to be useful to God.

Love y'all!

Elder Hixon 

No comments:

Post a Comment