(Bishop, Ward Mission Leader and Counselors)
Changes!
Surprise changes, I am now serving in a ward called La Cisterna. My companion is a mission hero of mine, his name is Elder Davis. If you were rewind time 20 years, and put my dad on a mission in Chile Santiago Sur, you`ll probably find yourself with somebody like my companion. He`s the man. I`ve always looked up to him, always admired his work ethic and firm decision to do what`s right...and now we`re comps! Woo! He finishes his mission this change, so I`ll have a new companion next change as well. 4 comps in 4 changes... 13 companions in my mission....man, I must be a tough guy to be around ;) On average, each companion lasted almost 2 months with me! That`s it haha.
I`m excited for the new sector. I`m sad to leave Las Americas, but they are in the zone still, so they`re not too far away. I`ll definitely have to go back for when Alex and Andrea get baptized!! Elder McKane`s new companion is an awesome guy, so I`m not worried about the sector at all.
I`ve got tons of pictures to send, so I`m just going to share a quick experience we had yesterday. While we weren`t able to celebrate National Freedom with fireworks, a giant inflatable water-castle thing, and soda at TJ`s (okay maybe we still drank a few glasses of Coke)....we were able to look for people and try to teach them how they can be spiritually free, and remember He through whom we are all given that opportunity. In doing so, we met a guy named Fernando. Here is his story:
3 years ago, his wife got pancreatis (? disease in the pancreas) and passed away suddenly. A year later, doctors found 2 tumors and his stomach, requiring surgery to get them removed and a lengthy recovery, with regular doctor checkups after. In April, his house on the coast burned down while him and his kinds and grandkids were staying there, which resulted in intense burning on both of his hands and arms. He had to have surgery and was in the hospital for a month afterwards. He`s been going to rehab since then, trying to regain the feeling and strength in his hands. When we met, we didn`t shake hands or anything because he couldn`t.
In tears, he expressed how it has been a dark time in his life. We sat for a moment, listening to him and trying to put ourselves in his shoes to really know how to help, when my companion began to testify that God is our Father, that He knows us, and that He is aware of our trials. He even shared that God knew how strong Fernando was, and that he was going to able to use these experiences to grow closer to Him. Testified that God is ready and willing to help, and that He had sent us to his door.
We have an appointment with Fernando on thursday! Pray for him! Pray for us too, that we`ll know hot to help him!
All is well. I am grateful for this opportunity that I have been given to be made free, and for the opportunity that I have to help others do the same. Here in Chile I have met a lot of people who are "captive" in some way or another, both spiritually and physically. I have seen how The Gospel of Jesus Christ truly does allow EVERYONE the opportunity to be made free. A dear gift bought at a great price, and it is ours for the taking.
I love you!
-Elder Hixon
Las Americas Bishop
Valentina! a less active girl who Elder Canaan and I worked with in Las Americas, she was reactivated in march and has a mission call! kinda quick but awesome! to Honduras!
Familia Tobar Alday! Pedor and Esteban
Familia Toro
Elder Batista and Elder Hixon
Pizza and Root beer, last night in the sector
Batista and a sweet Chile jersey that a family gave me
Futbol with some missionaries from the district and mission
No comments:
Post a Comment