"We're going to Thebes! - So what's in Thebes? - A lot of problems. - It's a big, tough town. Good place to start buildin' a rep."
Well once again we are here in Hayes. By the title, if your a true fan, you know I've found my way into some of the problems of missionary work.
So here is some good, a few problems, and maybe I'll end with some more good too :)
I had my first baptism in London. It was so amazing! The spirit was so strong and we had our friends there and they just want to get baptized now which is incredible. God is real! You can't deny the spirit in that room! Boniface Lamabala was baptized by Elder Hixon on Sunday and I'm so happy he let me do it. He took his time to decide to get baptized but he is a spiritual giant already. I've had one thought about the prophets words and baptism.
Those who are here in the final days before the coming of the Lord are some of His mightiest soldiers. Let's say we were all 'spiritual giants' before we came here, which is awesome. However, due to our fallen circumstances we don't remember anything about that. So we are like professional athletes that received a major concussion. That athlete can physically do everything required of him but he just doesn't quite remember the rest. It makes me think of the Drake and Josh episode where the janitor is an ex-pro football player who got a bad concussion and forgot all about how to play the game. When we are baptized however, it is our first awakening. We begin to feel the spirit and see that God has a plan for us. With each step forward we make more covenants with God and we are reminded of who we are! When God spoke to Joseph, he called him by name. The strength we have, often comes from remembering our identity.
Now back to Thebes. People here are pretty MEAN sometimes...haha. I get heckled daily and I talk to hundreds of people. I'm just inviting them all to church and they respond by swearing at me, more times then I can remember. But that is OK, it's perfect training grounds for me. There's catastrophe everywhere, so people need the gospel here.
Some would say that it is GOOD that life here is hard. Hard Times + Best Effort = Maximum Growth.
Let's dive into the week.
Monday - Was a pretty boring pday. We went shopping and that's about it.
Tuesday- We had an amazing member meal with Elder Aidukaitis a member of the 70 (we have 2 in our ward!) Then we had gospel principles class for new members and friends to teach them more about the gospel. Every day we went finding on a very busy street in Uxbridge!
Wednesday- We had a lesson with a guy named Chris who's fiance is a member. He's ready to be baptized, and is going to be baptized, he just is delaying it because he wants his fiance there. Then it was Elder Petersen's birthday celebration. So we went to this American diner and had burgers with a friend named Eddie. He's a little strange, he would stop everyone and tell them how bad and rude Europe is and how they hate Christians. He's from Europe
and he's telling this to Europeans!
and he's telling this to Europeans! Thursday- District Council. Still warming up to that meeting. We had dinner with a part member family who I don't think is married. They just live together in a platonic relationship. She got special approval from someone or something. hahaha. And it was Halloween! Sadly it isn't a big thing here. But it is getting bigger so we saw a few trick or treaters. The Book of Mormon play is a huge thing here so we thought about knocking doors as missionaries from the play. People already ask if we are cast members. (Not me personally. I guess I don't look THAT stereotypical).
Friday- We had a sports class and they wanted me to teach them how to box. That was really tricky because I have never had to think about explaining it, I just do what I do. It was kind of like teaching someone how to walk at first. I couldn't find the words and I was put on the spot. You tell one person you do something. and the whole ward finds out hahaha. Then we played volleyball!
Saturday- Nothing of note other than getting told I was dumb and brainwashed. They were polite about it but still weird to hear. Another thing we do every night is we call and teach to all of our friends over the phone. We contact every person every day.
Sunday- Baptism!!! This is the only important thing that happened today besides the sacrament.
Today was so busy and so fun! We took a few people in the zone and went to Windsor castle in Eton, England. I didn't realize how huge they are!! It was a really fun pday and I'm so glad I got to go!
Love you guys
Elder Hixon








No comments:
Post a Comment