Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The Power of Companionship


(Araujo and I)

Hello! I`ll update my week by copying a little bit the letter I wrote to President. Here`s the update: This week, in our sector, we continue seeing progress and have been able to find people who truly are prepared to hear this Gospel. I`m excited for the miracles that Elder Araujo has the opportunity to see in the beginning of his mission, and I hope he can maintain the expectation of miracles as he continues to work through his time here. It will be a blessing to all of the sectors in which he is assigned to work. The family that we found the week before is progressing a ton, the pareja has the license to get married...the date is set for April 1st! They read at night from the Gospel Principles Manual, keeping up with the 2nd hour class. We are excited for them! Another progressing investigator came to a ward activity and is set to come to church this week, another investigator asked for another Book of Mormon to share with her sister. We knocked on the door of a less active to do a 5 minute visit, (5 minute visits are a thing that President has us do, we go to houses of all members, less actives and actives, and we read one scripture, leave the house with the prayer, and in the prayer we declare our presithood and pronounce a blessing upon the house. we also get a lot of references this way, asking if there is anyone who we can include in our prayers) and we had happened to knock in the middle of a family crisis. We arrived just in time to give a blessing of health and were able to share a message about Faith and Repentance, and we have a follow up lesson tomorrow. The Spirit truly is guiding us and it is a humbling opportunity we have both had to participate. We`ve enjoyed an abundance of miracles in our sector this week. I am grateful to The Lord for permitting His grace to guide us in the work.

Other updates: There was a worldwide missionary conference, in which they changed the key indicators! we no longer report the number of lessons we have in the week, no longer plan at nights, we ONLY count and report baptisms, confirmations, new investigators, baptismal dates, and investigators who came to church. we also report how many 5 minute visits we do.....pretty wild! P Day is a little bit longer as well, from 9-7. The work schedule is looser, it gives you blocks of time to accomplish a lot of things. For example, from 9-10 you have personal study...and from 10am-10pm, you pretty much can make your own order of things. in the 12 hours you have to study as a companionship, eat lunch and dinner, study the language, for trainers, we have another half hour of study with a training program, and proseltye. The time of day in which you do those things is up to you and your companion. At night, you just get home and write in your journal, and go to sleep. 

The idea is to help missionaries have more freedom in the schedule, allowing us to form habits that accommodate our personality(?) rough word to use, but kind of the idea), with the hope that these habits carry over to after the mission. Post mission schedules vary and are loose, and if we can learn to work with a loos schedule in the mission, chances are we will be able to continue our study habits after the mission. 

Training is going good, I think my mom's thought she shared this week with me really is the key: telling people what they are (in the good) and not what they aren`t. I think with more time in my mission, my focus has shifted less on being a good missionary and more on being a good companion. Like, an actually good companion, not just a good vibe, conflict-free one. But my goal is more to help my companion in the areas where he needs help, and help him feel more inspired to do the work of the Lord. That focus has helped me feel more inspired to do the work of The Lord, and I have received help in the areas where I need it as well. Captain Moroni wasn`t so concerned about how to conquer Lamanites, I mean honestly, that was kind of up to The Lord. Moroni just focused on training the Nephites, helping them be true to The Lord, because He knew that if his people were true, they would conquer. The Stripling Warriors WEREN`T warriors, they were just super obedient and super faithful. I have also noticed more results in Los Robles as I have stopped trying so hard to be a missionary and started trying to be more like a Christlike Companion.

All good things.  

Love you!!!

I have pictures :)

-Elder Hixon 


La Casa





       the sector! ours is the half above the marker (like the bold lone, top half, that´s us!)



a budgetttttt! I made a budget! will i keep it?











No comments:

Post a Comment