Wednesday, January 4, 2017

No More Trash!


no more trash.....hahaha don´t know what the hope was with this poster, but that makes 2 of us here who are fed up with garbage on the ground!

I´ve been thinking a lot about New Years Resolutions this week. Elder Barfuss and I have been doing short visits with all the members in the ward, active or inactive, under the instruction of President Gwilliam, visiting EVERYONE and sharing with them a message of 5 minutes. At the end of the message, we leave the members with a prayer, asking if there is anyone who might be having a rough time whom we could include in the prayer. (genius way of getting references, haha). In the prayer, we declare the authority of the Melchizedek priesthood, and bless the family whom we visited and the people that we have included in the prayer. It´s a great way to retain members, find investigators, and get to know less actives. All President Gwilliam´s idea, really working here in Los Robles. It´s like, Missionary Home Teaching. 

Anyway, in these visits we have been sharing a Mormon Message called "Look Not Behind Thee" that was put out by the church, not sure if it´s new or not. But it´s wayyy good! And a clone of Arthur Adams is in the video. What does this have to do with New Years Resolutions? Let me tell you. 

First off, it must be understood the love I have for my Bishop and his wife. (seems to be a tender mercy of the Lord in my mission, I have been blessed with great bishops and even greater Bishop´s Wives.) My Bishop´s name is Cesar, his wife is Soledad. They were married 8 years ago, and 6 years ago Soledad was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. It´s like an arthritis that is in all her bones, so she always aches and is in serious pain. Some days worse than others, but a lot of days it´s pretty hard. She still works in a kindergarten class, as a teacher´s assistant, when she can. She really is positive and an incredible lady. Apart from the disease, she can´t have children. Something separate from the disease. Can you imagine? 

In a visit, I asked her what her New Year´s Resolution was, and she responded that she has had a good year, but with a lot of struggles and a lot of trials. Her goal is that this next year can be a little bit easier on her, physically and emotionally. After the visit, I felt pretty disanimated. I cannot imagine what the Savior must suffer as He beholds our suffering. In any case, I was thinking about any words of comfort I could offer in the future, to not feel so helpless as I get to know others and their personal sufferings. I was reminded AGAIN of my new favorite scripture, a scripture that occupies my mind a majority of the time. I will be forever grateful to Elder Martínez who shared with me this scripture in a time of serious desanimo. Paul´s words to the Corinthians rings loud to me, and comforts me in my own weaknesses. 


7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

 8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

 9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. 

My New Year´s Resolution, entonces, would be this. Not that my trials, nor my weaknesses, nor my personal struggles be taken away, rather that I might be sufficiently humble, and, por lo tanto, made strong in my weakness. Helaman 6 speaks of a people who were taught the word of God, and were brought to a recognition of their sins. The author writes: 

5 Yea, and many did preach with exceedingly great power and authority, unto the bringing down many of them into the depths of humility, to be the humble followers of God and the Lamb.

In Spanish, the word discípulo is used instead of the word seguidor. That I might more closely resemble a humble disciple of Christ is my New Years Resolution,

In the name of Jesus Christ,

Amen!

(can I end a letter like that?)

-Elder Hixon


weekly lunch date at a place called DJ pollo


sweet guitar I found in the trash, selfie taken in the back of a radio taxi


Isabel and Javier!! less active and investigator who came to church, 2 of the 18 who made it! 


As givers we cannot selectively give, or give only to those who deserve it. As we give to all, whether we have anything to give or not, we really do change lives. Of that I am sure, because my life has been changed by the constant giving of the Haitian people to us.



No comments:

Post a Comment