This week, a joven in our ward (who`s been less active for the last little bit, the kid who I gave my shoes to) wanted to come out with us like every day. His name is Moisès. He...is huge. Like, super huge. I`m talking like 5 foot 9 inches, maybe 300 pounds. BUT he is so awesome! He`s pretty crazy, really energetic, loves American Football, and por lo tanto, loves running into us :) he`s a pretty crazy, almost annoying, but really loveable kid. Just like me!
Anways, he texted us like every day this last week, asking when he could come out with us. And so, every day, we went out with Moisès! And in the ocassions where we had another member present, Elder Hair and I split up with the members. I went with Moises, and Elder Hair with the other member. In one of these nights where we were divided, Moises and I went to 2 lessons, in which we shared the Ilumina El Mundo video and then taught our lesson, connecting it to the principles taught in the video. They both went well, and when we finished, is was about 9 o clock. Leaving us one more hour before we were going to meet back up with the other 2 and end the division.
We went to a few nearby houses, to less actives and investigators, but nobody was home. Lately I`ve had a really strong craving (can I use that word?) to find a new family to teach, and so we went around trying to contact the people who were still in the street, looking especially for any parents who were walking with their kids. NADA. I saw a girl with her baby out on the porch, behind the gate, talking on the phone.
sidenote: every house in our mission is behind a gate (cage)...not so much for style, rather for protection haha
I decided we could give her a pass-along card and go by the next day, because maybe that was the family that my comp and I are supposed to find. As I got closer, I realized that this girl was crying as she was talking to whoever it was on the other line. I kinda awkwardly, silently communicated that I wanted to give her a card, which she accepted, and then we left. Moises suggested it was time to buy some ice cream, to end the night. I agreed. So we went.
There was some kind of issue at the little store where we were buying ice cream, which resulted in us receive two cups of ice cream for free: one was a little cup of vanilla, the other was a ginormous cup of chocolate. Really, you can`t ever go wrong with buying ice cream, not even as a missionary in South America. We both recognized what The Lord was communicating and ran back to the girl on the phone, giving her the little cup of Vanilla. We found her on the porch with her husband (I believe) and her kid, things seemed to have cooled down a little bit. We tried to contact them for reals this time, to which we were rejected and told "We already have a religion."
This week we`re gonna find em again and teach them the gospel!
The End :)
quick story number 2: after that, we went to the house of Moisès, and shared the video with his family while we were waiting for Elder Hair and the other member to get there. It was a pretty awesome experience when Moisès told me that he wanted to teach the lesson, and sit back and listen to this family have a real, gospel discussion, being lead by The Spirit, directed by a 15 year old who hasn`t been the most active in the church. The only person who was prouder than his parents was probably me,
Okay! The work moves on!
Elder Hixon
No comments:
Post a Comment