Monday, December 15, 2014

Bentley's Shoes

This week was one for the books. I'm definitely on the uphill swing of things.  I'm short on time but I want to share a few highlights.  We went to Beograd for a Zone Cofnerence this week and is was loads of fun. I learned a lot and felt an outpouring of the Spirit while I was there.  Afterwards I had an interview with President that really was inspired. He is a man called of God, I have no doubt.  I left feeling rejuvenated and determined and full of strength.  Also, I had a lot of extra time before our flight left after the conference, so we went to center and got some Gyros, and oh it's been far too long!! They were awesome. It was even worth trucking through the rain bez umbrellas.  My favorite part, though, was just traversing Beograd with my eyes closed. I know every inch of that city, and it felt like a huge wave of "home" when I went back. Spending over a year of my life in that city really did something. I was also privileged to serve in all the areas of that city, so I knew all the shortcuts. I just felt really good being there again. 

More on Beograd, yesterday the Raičević boys and Dušan (Andrej and David's dad, if you all remember them from this last summer) got the Priesthood!!! I am so stoked, and David wore my tie to church. It was the best phone call I ever got, and I am so glad that I am still in the mission to see that family grow. I wish I could've been over there, but our Sunday was good, too. Srdjan is still on fire. He's donating things to LDS Charities here, volunteering on any and all projects, paying his tithing, and applying the Gospel of Jesus Christ every day.  He's a champion and I love him.  

We found a new guy this week named Tomislav.  It was a long day and we were standing on one of the bridges, just looking at the river taking a break from a lot of opposition.  We turn and see a tall guy maybe in his early 20's. Pants: "This is the guy." Me: "Here we go again..." Pants was right. I need more faith. The guy was awesome and talked with us about his life and heard us out and was genuinely interested and wants to learn more. We'll see what this week brings with him. 


We also spent a lot of time with Božina, Snežana and Jovan this week. I know I say this a lot, but they are seriously some of my favorite people in the world.  I just love them so much.  Božina took us out to a place where we could chop down a Christmas Tree for Elder Lowis and Elder Poore and take pictures for a Christmas card, and so that's coming in hot!! It was loads of fun.




Lastly, I wanted to tell you about day 1 of this week (well, day 1 of work, this week meaning Wednesday after Tuesday's all day conference and travel).  I woke up exhausted, overwhelmed and full of anxiety again.  I didn't want to go outside and talk to people. It seemed that after the spiritual high of the conference, the adversary wanted to strike us down quickly.  I was getting ready, having some pessimistic thoughts and fears about the day, when I went to put on my shoes. These are the shoes that I bought 2 years ago, and have worn every day for over 18 months of those 2 years.  They've held up very well, but since the heavy rain that Podgorica winters bring, and especially the torrent I walked through in Beograd the day before, they were beat to shreds.  The giant holes in the front and the sole almost completely detached from both heels were mostly still bearable, but that Beograd rain storm had them soaked and miserable.  I thought to think "poor me" and give in to a wave of depression, when I saw another pair of shoes.  These shoes were beaten pretty heavily, too, but had only one small hole on the right side of the right shoe, and a still attached sole.  These shoes were also dry.  As I laced them up I thought about their former owner, Elder Wilson, who only a few weeks ago was running me into the ground (ha, punny) in these shoes.  As I comfortably got into Bentley's shoes, I said a prayer and asked for the strength to fill the metaphorical shoes he left behind here in Podgorica.  And it made all the difference.

So, all in all, it was a great week.  I'm dry, happy, and working. 

I love and miss you all! Happy Birthday Chip!

-Elder Hixon

No comments:

Post a Comment