Monday, September 15, 2014

Country Number Three



Did I tell you that it has been raining here in the Balkans more this year than ever before? Like, since March there hasn't been one whole week without overcast or rain.  And lately in Karlovac it has been pouring nonstop, so bad that 2 of the biggest rivers that cut through town are up like 20 feet and are 1 foot more from breaking over. 



They called the army in to help sandbag it up, but they gave up because it's too much. So we're on flood watch for now...we'll see if they break over and flood the whole town.  Sounds like we are in similar situations! Rain rain rain always rain. We were over at a member's this week putting all of her stuff up high and on palettes and stilts because she lives right by the river and if it breaks, her house is underwater.  Way cool sounding back home.

Today was the greatest day ever.

We had an amazing Pday with some of the best pictures from my mission, found a place just opened in the Greb with canned soda (we're talking A&W, Barq's, Mug, Dr. Pepper, Cherry&Vanilla Dr. Pepper, Ginger Ale, etc.), had a birthday party for
Elder Wilson, and just had a grand time.  It was such a fun day with so many good friends.  I have loads of pictures on various cameras, but I will send them all next week once they are all sent to me.


TRANSFER CALLS.

President Grant called this afternoon and told me that he needs me to go down to Podgorica, Montenegro and whitewash another area. I will be serving with Elder Wilson! I am stoked, I will give you all details on that call and everything else next week. It's going to be wild, and Elder Lowis from Mesa (and BG) are down there too! And the best part:
I'm in Serbia Zone again. So I get to go back to Beograd!!! :)

This week we just helped some members with floods for the most part.  I made a friend in church this week. Even though I haven't loved Karlovac to death, I am going to miss it. It was a refiner's fire for sure, and I have learned a lot from being here.


Elder Radaković once told me that "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandment to (Elder Hixon) save He shall prepare somebody for him to love where He sends him." 

Take that one home.  I use it here in my head, when things are down, I think "who is that one friend I can make today?" Yesterday it was the only deacon in our branch here in Karlovac.  I sat with him during Priesthood meeting and we had a real good time. Turns out watching Regular Show with Simon and Cal paid off, because that was a topic of conversation. He is the only son and he and his mom are faithful members. He doesn't know where his dad is, hasn't heard from him since he was 7 or so, and his stepdad is a really cool guy but not a member. We talked a lot, joked a lot, and through it all he was still answering questions in Gospel Doctrine and Priesthood. He showed me his favorite scriptures and I showed him mine. At the end he said, "When I serve my mission, I hope it is Arizona!"
And now to find somebody to love in Podgorica and start up a branch there!!!

Love and miss you all!
Elder Hixon

1 comment:

  1. Not sure you see this, but if you do remember We Love You!

    ReplyDelete