I will start with a moment this week that touched me deeply, it may have been the highlight.
Since I've been here, as in last year, there has a woman named Sestra Guberenić who is a member of this branch, but she lives in Bosnia. Every week she comes to church just after the sacrament, coming in to the meeting around 10:45-11. This isn't terribly uncommon--people come late often as there are great distances to travel around here. But she comes late every week, and what was also odd to me was that she would always ask if we could give her the sacrament every time after church. We were always willing to help, but like we often tend to do, we hurried through it and at times weren't thrilled to be doing so. I caught myself at times wondering why couldn't this woman just come on time?
Sometime last year I was told that the earliest possible bus she can take from where she lives to Beograd gets her into the city at 10:30. With that knowledge, I didn't ever again question her and the thought of it all blew past me. Being back here now, the same thing has happened as often as she can come, and whichever missionaries she asks go and give her the sacrament in one of the other rooms.
This week, however, we had an incredible Zone Conference with Elder Charles from the Area 70 Presidency (I hope that title is right) and among many other things we learned, we were invited to pray, if not during sacrament meeting itself due to how fast the sacrament can go sometimes, then the night before, and truly commune with the Lord and find a way to better ourselves in preparation for the Sacrament, and to truly be with the Lord during that sacred time, taking the bread as a sign of the covenants we've made and the new commitments to be better that week, and taking the water as a sealing of that, truly having personal time with the Lord. So I gave it a go. Saturday night was filled with this, and I carried it with me to Sacrament meeting the next day. During the meeting I felt an increased measure of the Spirit and an appreciation of the Sacrament and what that meant, and a feeling of closeness with my Savior. My mind wasn't racing, as it often does when I am studying and pondering, but rather it seemed to be strolling along, taking everything in in greater detail. As I contemplated the Atonement and the Savior, and what I could be doing to better myself and become like Him, I saw where I was and what I was doing. That I am a missionary and a holder of the Priesthood, that I am called, both by my mission call and by admonitions from our leaders, to lift those around me and serve and honor the Priesthood which I hold, and that we are saved by the merits, mercy and grace of Him, after all we can do, were all topics of contemplation.
As the sacrament portion of the meeting ended, and the talks were coming to a close, I felt uplifted and filled. I was sitting somewhat close to the door, waiting on investigators to possibly come. The door creaked open and in walked Sestra Guberenić. I had never felt this particular sensation before, but my heart broke and I struggled to hold my emotions in. This woman had just missed such a feast, one where I truly had been filled, and others around me as well. She missed it. And I don't know why it bothered me this time, of all times, but I was so hurt for her. And then thoughts began racing, and immediately after the closing prayer, I ran over to her and asked her if we could give her the sacrament after church.
After church we did that. And it was a powerful experience, one that I don't think I'll forget. The Spirit attended the room and the feelings overflowed. I felt an even greater appreciation for the Atonement after that experience. This faithful elderly woman did 'all she could do' to receive the blessings promised her, and still it wasn't enough. Simply because of her situation, she could not make it. However, all hope was not lost, the power of the Priesthood was available to her, and she was able to be blessed by that and receive the same feast that those of us who had been there had received.
I feel that, in a similar manner, it will be (and is) for us. We can try and literally exhaust ourselves in our efforts, but it will end up that the score isn't settled and we have come up short, weekly, daily, yearly, and at the end. But it will be through the mercy of Him who is mighty to save that we WILL be made clean and everything be made right, after all we can do.
In short, this week we received 6 referrals from members, and have begun meeting with them. They're incredible, and it has been such a humbling experience to receive them from members who trust us. I will write more on them specifically next week once we've got a bit more to talk about. One, though, is named Ivan. He is 19 and we had an incredible lesson with him Sunday night. We talked with him and Vladan was there to share his conversion story with him, and they come from similar backgrounds so it went over really well. He'll be baptized soon, no doubt, and likely on a mission after that! Miracles are happening here in the white city!
I found some Tony's seasoning in my new apartment, so I've been having a real good time. Made some stir fry this week with mixed vegetables, potatoes, eggs, jerky (thank you grandma and grandpa!!!) and a white sauce (thank you Elder Fisher!) and that Tony's just nailed it. Also, Burger House has DIVINE burgers and shakes and onion rings and CANNED SPRITE. I'm in heaven, easy as that.
That's all I have time for, this week I have a few trips to Zagreb so I'll take more pictures and have more stories. Love you and miss you all!!
Elder Hixon
No comments:
Post a Comment