Monday, July 22, 2013

Then Sings My Soul

We had a pretty interesting week this week. Last P Day we were wearing our proselyting clothes because we were not sure when we may see Nana before going to Montenegro. It was lame, because everybody was playing volleyball and the like, and we were slightly hindered by that. (Only slightly.) But the Lord had plans in mind! As I was emailing President Rowe, a man sitting next to me leans over and asks me in English if I am from the Mormon church. I said yes. Turns out he is from the Czech Republic and was on a vacation tour with friends through the former Yugoslavia, and he was in Serbia for a day. He has a friend who lives in the Czech Republic who speaks Serbian (she's from Serbia) who asked him if, while he was here, that he could find the Mormons and get her a Book of Mormon in Serbian. She can't read Czech, and she wants to read it, and the coolest part was he was leaving Serbia in 2 hours, he was at the cafe checking his Facebook and was actually talking to her when we started talking. I spaced and realized I didn't have a Book of Mormon on me (what kind of missionary?!) but the Elders from Sremska were here and Elder Despain had one on him. I called him over, and we gave the man a Book of Mormon. I talked with him for a while, and while he said at the moment he was not interested in the Church for religious purposes, he told me that he had always heard that Mormons were good people, and he also had done studies on them from a nonreligious standpoint, and said that he likes that we are raised to be good people. I told him that our religion is just that, we try to help people become better people and more like our Heavenly Father. He was very impressed with our meeting, said it couldn't have been by chance, and said to me, "You've proved right to me what I've heard and learned. The Mormons are good people." I was unable to get his contact information, if I remember correctly, he lives around or in Prague. I believe his name was Aleksandar (whatever the Czech rendition of that is) and he was a good man.

I realize, Elder Payne, that that doesn't help much. But if he's being prepared enough to interact with us in Belgrade and have a good experience, then I am sure that the Lord will direct him to you or other missionaries in Czech. Or his friend who now has the Book of Mormon.

Either way, I felt blessed to be a part of that experience.

We also had an exchange this week. Elder Radakovic came into my area with me, and Elder Wade and Bates went out to Cacak. It was a way fun exchange, and Elder Radakovic taught me very much. I know that these countries are in good hands with a man like him. Unlike a lot of the young people here, even the members, he wants to stay here. He was born in Serbia, in Novi Sad I believe. And he lived there and down in Nis. He at some point moved to Slovenia and lived in Celje ever since. So he speaks English, Serbian (and the dialects therein, as well as the Croatian and Bosnian differentiations) and also Slovene. He was introduced to the Gospel by his neighbor. Neither of his parents are members, "Not yet," he says in a Batman voice. He is 26, and he is a SERB. I love that. He is a man of humble faith and power, and decided to serve his mission he says, "Because what better thing is there than to serve the Lord?" 

He got me into reading Isaiah, because it's a commandment in 3 Nephi 23 (if I remember the reference) and also because, he says, "Isaiah truly saw our day, and we are promised to be able to understand him, and anyone who reads Isaiah will thereby find himself therein." And it's been the biggest blessing to do so. He's a stud, he'll probably be in the District Presidency and eventually become a general authority or apostle, the first from Serbia. He's the best there is.

We also had an incredible Zone Conference this week. We learned so much and we had a great time. Nana and Zoe have been in contact with the Elders in Podgorica in Montenegro, and they are getting baptized Saturday, and confirmed Sunday. I'm so excited I can hardly contain it! It will be such a blessing for them. I was able to speak to Nana on the phone 2 days ago to see how things were, and it was so good to hear from them. They could really use prayers, we're hoping they get his visa today and that they head home today.

"Then sings my soul, my Savior, God to Thee. How great Thou art! How great Thou art!" That's been stuck in my head, and it's so true. No matter what happens, if we press forward, we will find the assurance that we are right with our God and our King, and when we are right with Him, He says, "Fear not, I am with thee, Oh be not dismayed. For I am THY God, and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand." He is OUR God, and He will make all our wrongs right, and all our sorrows turned to experience for our good, that we will be able to stand with confidence. That is all that matters, that we are right with Him, and let the rest follow, whatever the consequences be.
I love you all. We are hard at work and the blessings are coming for this wonderful land. It is harder than ever, but it is worth it.

Love,
Elder Hixon

1 comment: