Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Voltei!!!

Before I fly into a week recap I want to add this little poem that I wrote a while ago. In fact I wrote it almost 22 months ago! I wrote it in the very place that I am sitting at now. I was reading back through old emails I had sent when I was a new missionary. Like brand new first area Ibiuna kind of missionary. And I had written this poem after being prompted to create one by my family. It goes like this:

Everything has it´s season
All things have a reason
But trusting in a God who knows all
Ensures that we shall not fall

I remember when I wrote this I had already found out that I would be sent home early. I think I had felt some comfort in this poem, but I did not find clarity in it. I did not know what the future held nor did I understand the challenges and trials that were ahead of me. Going home early was only the beginning of the trials. But this comfort is what I needed to start the journey.

And now, as I read this poem 22 months later, I feel the clarity. Looking back I see where God was leading me and in some ways I see why I needed to take the path I did. It has been quite a ride these 22 months. I have boarded 10 different planes since then to go to and from various mission assignments (apologies to church headquarters for potentially being the most expensive missionary), have learned from 3 different mission presidents since and have been able to learn to love 13 different companions. And again as I reflect back and read this poem again I can claim with confidence that as we trust in God, we can not fall. It is Helaman 5:12. Within the last 22 months my plans have changed faster than my siblings ability to have all kinds of babies (I believe in the past 22 months I have had an additional 5 nieces and nephews... Mack, Honey, Penny, Hyrum, Annie). Things have come up and challenges have arisen but by maintaining total trust in the Lord I have been able to walk out of each situation and circumstance with a greater love for my God and for those around me. So now I give thanks to be sitting in the same place where this poem was created and the decision to fully trust God was made. And I do not mean sitting just in Sao Paulo Brazil, but I am back in my very first area, Ibiuna.

Sorry onto the recap... So yes! I left Iowa with a bang. Spent the week with the AP´s and the office elders, Had 2 covid tests (which I passed with flying colors), and did a lot of driving and flying. I remember as my mission president and I were in the airport. 


We had just sent off my luggage and I was heading toward security. I remember for a split second I had reflected and wondered if I had done enough in Iowa. It seemed to me that President Sturm heard my thoughts because he immediately turned to me and said, "Elder Hixon, I want you to know that the work you did here was incredible. You did extremely well. If you feel any different or ever feel any different remember that does not come from the Lord. I want to, as your priesthood leader, tell you the same words the Lord will one day say to you. 'Well done, good and faithful servant". And maybe every mission president says that to every departing missionary but to me it meant the world. I think another thing I have learned to do in these past 22 months is to fully trust my priesthood leaders. When they tell me I am doing okay, or when they tell me I am forgiven, or when they tell me I am loved, I have learned to trust them. I am so grateful for President Sturm and all that he taught me!

Arriving in Brazil was amazing. It felt like a dream. Looking out the window and seeing all the green! Watching the bus driver weave through the insane traffic of Sao Paulo and remembering how much I love this place. I remember when I saw President Horsley we embraced and the first thing he whispered in my ear was, "You are going back to Ibiuna. Do not tell anyone yet. I just can not keep this from you any longer"



THIS WAS RIGHT OUT OF A DREAM! It was miraculous enough that God provided a way for me to return to Brazil, and now I am in even more awe that the blessings keep coming. The Lord has no cap or limit to the amount of blessings He gives to His servants. To return back to what feels like my home has helped me again to know that God loves me. He cares about me. He knows my heart, He knew my heart 22 months ago. He knew I would come back. He was preparing this grand blessing for me long ago. 

I am so grateful He has been ever so merciful to me while I sloppily, but intently and courageously, stumble down the covenant path.

Sunday was a treat to be again with my beloved friends here in Ibiuna. Brazilians must have laser sharp memory because they remembered me! Each one in that congregation embraced me and showed me love like the Savior would show. 

And hey quick Elder Hixon´s never ending mission trivia question for you... Who was the inactive member with the "story for the ages" that I wrote about in my first general email when I was in Ibiuna long ago? 

It was Danilo! 

He was there and his wife had since been baptized just weeks after I left. He is now firm in the church and even he remembered me. These people did not remember me for some grand thing I did, but only for the love they have for the Lord and His servants. I am grateful to be surrounded by people who love God.

So I am back... my mission should end on August 24th or something like that but who knows. Anything can happen haha! I love this work and am grateful that I have been able to learn so much and be witness to so many miracles during my mission. I know God is a God of miracles!!

Amo voces!!!!
Elder Hixon

No comments:

Post a Comment