Monday, October 26, 2020

Boom!

Boom indeed! 


God is good! We had Annette's baptism this past weekend and it was phenomenal. I can't believe after 10 years I was able to be the missionary to witness this grand miracle. Annette is the cherry on top! She was probably the hardest person to baptize so far in my mission. On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday we had lessons with her and each lesson started with "I don't want to get baptized". She was so so scared. But we knew she wanted to do this. I was with Elder Cragun on Wednesday and he was amazing. He helped teach Annette and encourage her. By the end of Wednesday we had both bore testimony about going forward despite fears and the importance of baptism. So she then said sure she would get baptized. Then on Thursday again she started the lesson by saying she didn't want to get baptized and she was too scared. I was with Elder Anderson this time and he helped me testify of how everyone can be helpful in the church and how we needed Annette's gifts in the church. We shared with her Elder Uchtdorf's talk, "Believe, Love, Do". She left the lesson feeling inspired and ready to be baptized. Then comes Friday. I was on exchange with Elder Ireland and Annette did not want to be baptized. She was so scared and flat out told us she isn't going to do it. We met with her in the morning and the afternoon and at night. Each time started the same "I don't feel it is right". Our lesson at night, was so spiritual. We talked a lot about how we love Annette and know that she needs to do it. We discussed heavily on big decisions we both had to make in our lives and how happy we were to make them. Even when we were scared.

I for example talked about sky diving. How without the instructor up there in the plane I probably wouldn't have jumped. I wanted to all the way leading up to the moment I was 30,000 feet in the air. Then I got too scared. But because of my flight instructor, I did it and it was the funnest experience ever. Elder Ireland talked about a basketball game he had in high school and it was the semi final in the state championship and the seconds were ticking and the game plan was for him to shoot the buzzer beater 3 to win it. He talked about how he was excited for it at first but once the seconds started ticking he got doubtful and scared. He confessed that he kind of hoped his coach would just pull him out of the game. But coach didn't and they went forward and he shot and made it. He likened it to how yes when we do big things we can doubt ourselves and want to be pulled out of the game but we would be left with major regret. And that we had already signed up so let's just go for it. 

I then shared the story of me coming home from my mission. I expressed my fears of doing that. I feared that my family would be disappointed and my friends. I even told Annette I was afraid my good friend would leave me for good! (one of Annette's fears was the "ridicule" she would receive from family and friends). And I expressed how I didn't regret a single thing. And how it wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. I testified that Satan was the one who didn't want her to do this. He was blowing it out of rationale! It was him who was sending thoughts of discouragement and fear. The Spirit was very strong and some tears were shed. 

At the end of the lesson I decided to do something I've only done 2 times on my mission. It's what my family does every time someone in the family is about to do something big. We all hold hands and say a prayer together. One person starts it and squeezes the hand of the person beside them when they are ready for them to continue the prayer. Then the last person that gets their hand squeezed finishes the prayer. I started and then Annette finished the prayer. It was so spiritual and such an amazing prayer. We all opened our eyes feeling so much love and joy. We all embraced and Annette was feeling confident as ever. The next morning we were honestly expecting her to be back into "I don't want to be baptized" mode and we were ready to bring the spirit and help influence her agency again ;)... but it wasn't like that at all. We visited her with a plate of cookies we had for her and she greeted us with a joy I've never seen in Annette before. It had been 10 years of missionaries and she's been all the way up until the night before her baptism and then backed out. She had never been this close and she felt so good and happy. She went forward with faith and a few hours after our morning visit she was baptized and confirmed. It was such a privilege to be able to experience such powerful miracles! I was so humbled. I really don't feel as though I was worthy of seeing such miracles and such change in someone but I did. God is merciful. He allows us "broken vessels" to do His work! I am nowhere near where I want to be and need to be but God still let's me experience the miracle of change. In my own life and in the lives of others. I feel encouraged to do more and to be better. We love Annette!! Such a wonderful woman😊 


There was a speaker at Annette's baptism that shared such a cool experience that I want to share. I think it kind of puts into focus exactly what I'm feeling. This lady's name is Gretchen Van de Voorde. She is old and her husband is not a member. She was a hardcore smoker until the missionaries came. She recounted this story...

"I remember not being sure about whether or not I needed to join the church. I knew I had received spiritual confirmations about the Book of Mormon and even about the church. I knew I needed to join but I felt too unworthy. So I asked for yet another sign. I feel bad for even asking for another sign and feel shameful about it now but I needed to know. So I love glitter. I love glittery and sparkly things I guess that's just the little girl in me. And I remember one morning it had just finished raining and I was walking through my house to go outback. And as I opened the backdoor I saw the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. The sun and the rain were glistening just right on a 2 foot by 2 foot spider web. A massive web but it looked magnificent. It sparkled from the sun shining on little droplets of rain that still clung to the sticky webs. Then I looked a little further down and saw a hairy, ugly, tiny brown spider. And the thought came to me... if something that ugly can create something so beautiful, then so can I and God created me this way."

Isn't that so cool? It was exactly what I was feeling! And it is the coolest little story. This is such a miracle. Literally everyone was in awe. All the ward and everyone. One of the AP's taught Annette so he came down to come watch the baptism. Everyone was rooting for Annette. And because of Annette, 2 less actives are coming back to church and another girl named Liz wants to be baptized. Annette is the bomb!

Boom right? It was awesome! One other sweet little time with Annette was at church on Sunday. In our ward we don't sing the hymns we just listen to them in a speaker. Well the closing hymn was Count Your Many Blessings and this is Annette's favorite hymn. She couldn't contain herself and she started singing. Surprised the heck out of me because no one else was singing. But she wanted to sing! So gosh dang it I sang with her. Annette and I sang the 3 verses of Count Your Many Blessings together and afterward she thanked me. It was just a sweet moment to share. I felt that by singing with her I was helping her feel more apart of the church. And that she had ultimately made the ride decision. She's so great! It's been a blessing to be apart of her life. 

So yeah this week was Annette filled but was joyful. We found a Brazilian family who we are now teaching so that is way exciting! They are from Rio de Janeiro!! Super super amazing people who honestly I could see them as member of the church real quick so stay tuned;) 


Lots of boom and that's about it. A quick highlight from Come Follow Me something very interesting in 4 Nephi 1:38. Notice how Mormon specifies that the people didn't just "dwindle in unbelief" but that they "willfully rebelled". What a difference! I think it important to note that there is a difference but more important to note is that both of them are bad outcomes! One is less rebellious but both drive you away from Jesus Christ! Avoid both. Examine your lives and see which category you fall under. Chances are in some ways you are doing both!;) 

Love y'all. Have a good week! 

Elder Hixon 




No comments:

Post a Comment