I`ve been sitting in the cyber for like 20 minutes, just reading emails and writing a letter to President. The first P Day I had (October 8th 2015), I remember how rushed I felt as I raced against the clock, trying to write everybody that I could.
The next 102 P Days were pretty much the same experience.
And now, for the first time in 2 years, I am sitting at the computer and I don`t know what to do. All the time in the world to write, but I can`t think of anything to say! I came out of General Conference with a profound impression to read and study The Book of Mormon daily, to search for and receive the spiritual light I need on a daily basis to glorify God. I have had an increased desire to share it with others, to make promises as His representative in the ward I serve to all who are willing to read and study it. A small experiences this week as we tried to do so:
Sunday night. 8 o clock. We just got home from the afternoon session, we had an appointment with a new girl named Paloma. We contacted her during the week, and had set up a cita to teach her, her pareja, and her kid on Sunday. So we went to the address she gave us....and it didn`t exist. We called her phone number that she gave us...doesn`t exist. So, we decided to knock the door closest to us and contact.
A lady named Maria Isabel opens the door, and we present ourselves and get to know her. Nice lady, religious background, quickly tells us that she doesn`t believe in men or in their churches. She tells us that she doesn`t really have any time to talk. Remembering President Nelson`s talk from Saturday night(?), I asked her, "Do you believe in the Bible?"
"Yes I do"
"Do you know about Christ`s ministry in the Americas?"
"No..."
We gave her a brief explanation of The Book of Mormon and Christ`s visit to the Americas, and asked, "Can we read the registro with you?"
She opened the door and let us come in! I felt like I had taken most of the iniciative in the contact about The Book of Mormon, and I was the one who asked if we could read it with her, so I had assumed that The Spirit was inspiring me to help this girl. You know, an "ending-my-mission" kind of treat from the Lord. Therefore, I made a quick game plan in my head and started going with the idea that I had.
Her boyfriend came in, and we all started reading in John 10, the classic scripture about Christ and His "other sheep, who are not of this fold". I had planned on then reading in 3 Nephi 11, like President Nelson did, when my companion cut in: "We wanted to read a chapter in Christ`s visit with you..." and had us open to 3 Nephi 17 and we read the whole chapter.
NOT my gameplan. But as we read together, The Spirit was strong and testified of the account, and my companion is going back to visit them on Friday. Both Maria Isabel and her boyfriend, Miguel, shared spiritual experiences they had experienced in previous times in their lives. The spirit was rich as we shared together and read the word of God.
3 lessons that I take out of the visit:
1) "The Book of Mormon is the best missionary there is" -President Texeira (our area President in a devotional we had)
2) The body of Chirst is real, and The Lord`s love is too pure for Him to only help and inspire one person. The Lord inspired me in the beginning of the contact, and inspired my companion as we began to teach. We both had to trust each other and work together. By this way, all of us were made learners and were all edified together. An evidence of The Spirit. Had we gone with the plan I had in my head...not only would the lesson have been very different, but I would have missed the opportunity to be taught in a profound way by the Spirit.
3) Even when people are dishonest with me (like giving fake addresses or fake numbers), The Lord knows all things and has an urgency for His Work, so He will place me in the right place at the right time to do His work. If I can just trust Him, and trust that I am in the right place, trying to do the right thing, then He will bless both me and those around me. If I was doing something I shouldn`t, I might not have had the confidence that I was where I needed to be, and therefore could not have trusted that The Lord had placed me where He wanted me to be, and would have missed the opportunity.
I love you all, and will see you soon :)
-Elder Hixon







No comments:
Post a Comment