I have mixed feelings about writing these last few letters. In AP Lang, we had these things called "timed writes", in which we show up to class and receive a writing prompt, and have an hour to write an essay. While it`s stressful, I think it`s healthy. Good mission prep :) it`s also a great opportunity that I have had weekly to reflect upon the progress in the week (or lack thereof). So, I am going to miss writing letters weekly. I asked Hermana Gwilliam if she knows any missionaries that don`t get weekly letters from home, so she`ll be looking for people that I can write weekly! No offense to anyone, but by the looks of it, it seems like a real challenge to write interesting weekly letters from home :) hahaha. So I look forward to the challenge.
This week was a good week, Elder Riofano and I have been running around all week. Time continues to speed up. It`s not uncommon that I get called to go play piano for some fireside or conference, and it`s just about the same for Elder Riofano to translate interviews and lessons with Hatians. That, on top of a lot of divisions and meetings (who knew that it took so much training to end a mission? haha), we recognized this week that we need to better organize ourselves. So, hopefully there are less locuras in the week ahead.
September 18! Woo! I`ll admit, it was a very different experience passing the 18th in La Cisterna than it was in Los Olmos. In Los Olmos, everyone was drunk and the streets were FULL. We ate SO MUCH meat that day, so many empanadas, so many cups of a delicious chilean drink known as mote con huesillo. In La Cisterna...we had a great lunch with some nice members, and then went to work anddd the streets were empty. Pretty much went to others parts of Chile to celebrate. Lots of walking, less food. BUT, we finished the night with a family of investigators from Ecaudor who have been progressing a ton. A member also came out with us to the lesson, which was really kind considering the fact that it was a national holiday. We pretty much just shared and testified of the Book of Mormon and The Spirit that brings into our lives, and invited them to read and know for themselves the truthfulness of our message. As I continue learning as a missionary, I have come to feel that teaching, testifying, and inviting others to read the Book of Mormon seems to be the best way to recognize those that The Lord is preparing to receive our message.
The convenience of the holiday was the fact that many wards had ward activities, allowing me to go by Los Robles and say goodbye to so many of the people that I came to love while I served in that area. I`ll send pictures. Quick revelation.
My mind continues to be occupied by the thought that The Lord also requires us to do ALL we can do, and then His grace makes up the difference. James E Talmage teaches the principle in Jesus the Christ, as he explains the details about when Christ raises Lazarus from the dead. While Christ already knew everything and needed no human assistance, He only did that which the others could not do for themselves. Some of those things were: Telling Him where Lazarus was laid, having them remove the stone which covered his tomb, and having them also remove the linens which covered his body.
Consistent in even this story, the Lord`s first requirement before ANY miracle is that we believe. It is a requirement because it is something that EVERYONE can do; it`s a choice. While sure knowledge isn`t a requirement, because that seems to be more of a consequence and less of a choice, belief is an independent principle. We are one hundred percent able and responsible to believe. While it`s true that belief can be influenced, it cannot be decided by anybody but us. The motif is really clear in tons of scriptures, some that come to mind right now are Mosiah 4 and 5, Alma 19(?) and 22, Ether 3, "be not afraid; only believe" "helpest thou my unbelief", and other examples. It`s a great motif that has really made me reflect and introspect my personal decision to believe.
AND, I LOVED that talk my mom sent last week! About personal responsibility. I was going through a situation that was kind of frustrating, and the talk was exactly what I needed. Thank you for being inspired Mom!
I love you all!!
Elder Hixon
No comments:
Post a Comment