Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Rain Rain Rain!


Familia Cancino (gave me that same jersey!) 


Marcela and her Family (recent convert and less active mom, part member family)

Hello! 

Wow. It has been a cold week. Rain rain rain! Lots of rain. I am grateful for my grandparents who sent me the greatest shoes on the planet, honestly they have saved me these past couple days. I`m not a big fan of rain boots, they are too hard to get on and take back off...but the shoes that my grandparents sent me are just comfy, slip ons, and basically waterproof. Thank you to my good grandma and grandpa by the ocean. 

I`m excited for some foundations we were able to set this week, we have some pretty awesome family nights set up with some youth and less actives families for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Saturday in the morning we are going to play basketball with some guys we contacted in the park. We`ve got some AWESOME plans to do some creative contacts in the Subway this next week, I`ll be sure to get some pictures and send them all home. All is well here in Chile. 

I`ve been trying to reflect on the Savior and what He did and continues to do to help give us the opportunity to grow and become like Him, and I have also been reflecting on HOW He did those things. My companion and I have had some long days trying to find people who are willing ti listen and who desire to progress...and to be honest, the work here has been pretty hard. The days that we send in every week are sometimes a little discouraging, and it has been awhile since a REAL investigator has been able to come out to church with us. We see miracles, but normally they are miracles that are just enough to keep us going... there hasn`t been any real visible fruits from anything I have done here in Las Americas. I was able to learn from the example of Adam this week as I read in the 5th chapter of Moses. 

Context: Adam and Eve just got were removed from the Garden. I can only imagine how  Adam must have been feeling separating them from the presence of God. I can just imagine the weight that he felt upon his shoulders. The garden was great, the fruit might have even tasted good...but now the consequences were real. He hadn`t yet learned of the redemption that Christ would bring to his family...the only thing he knew was that, although ALL was seemingly lost, he was commanded to offer specific sacrifices to The Lord. 

If I were in Adam`s shoes, I don`t know if I would really see the point of being obedient after already having condemned myself and my whole family. But he obeys! "And after many days" of this almost blind obedience, He learns the purpose of his sacrifices and learns of the redemption of both himself and his whole family. Adam then is filled with The Spirit, rejoices, blesses God and his family, teaches his wife, and together they go to teach their children. 

So, I`m down to keep working and keep hoping and continue putting trust in The Lord`s promises. He has promised me that there are people who are searching, and that I, with my companion, will be led to their homes. There weren`t a whole lot of fruits this week, nor has their been for pretty much the last 3 months...but I am still confident that The Lord`s promises are sure, and that He has a reason and purpose for all things. 

So, back to work :)

-Elder Hixon

PS- we are doing a fast as a mission, from Sunday after lunch to Monday at lunch...with the hope that we can be led to those who are searching. We are currently the lowest baptizing mission in South America, and feel like The Lord has much more for us than what we are currently finding. I would love to invite everyone to join with us....your hermanos chilenos will be eternally grateful :)










No comments:

Post a Comment