Another week, another dolla!
This week was a great. We are now in the last week of the change, and we are both pretty certain that Elder Jenks and I won´t be together for this next change. So....we will see what happens!
As perfectly timed as it could be, the sector decided to start exploding this week. We went back to visit Patricia and Liz 2 more times since last week, and they are doing awesome. There a couple details and little things, disagreements or certain doctrines, but they both are such awesome people. They really are just looking for Christ´s church here on the earth, and I know that they will recognize it this Sunday when they come to Sacrament Meeting. They are honestly seeking the church, openly seeking, and so I have no doubt that they will recognize it this week as they participate in our Sunday Meetings.
Carla is also progressing, we have placed a goal with her to be baptized on October 9th. The date is kind of far out, but one of the things that she will have to do in order to be baptized and be able to fully keep those covenants is be able to attend church on Sunday´s, and with her current working situation, it might take some time for her to make that possible. But she understands and agrees with everything we are teaching her, and overall is really receptive. #stoked
The Hatians...well, let´s just say that Elder Hawk would be proud of us this week :,)
A detail that I forgot to write last week is that WE HAD 9 HATIANS COME TO CHURCH WITH US LAST WEEK. And, yep, 11 came this week. Our Gospel Principles Teacher, Hermano Altomirano, works for a company that is based in France, and so his bosses all speak French. That has been a blessing for our class, as the Hatians all speak fluent French. Their 2 languages in Haiti are French and Creole, both pretty similar but one sounds...well, haha, sounds more African. I took a video of them speaking in Creole, I´ll send it home this week.
In a lesson with had with them last week, Elder Jenks and I realized that we weren´t really sure what the need of these people could be. They accept everything we teach, minus a few things that they have learned in their Church from Haiti, but even then, they come to church every Sunday, come to activities, let us in whenever when we come over, and they're awesome. But without a need, we don´t have something to tie our teachings to. So, we just were blunt and decided to ask them what they needed.
Junior, the one who speaks the best Spanish, said "We aren´t from here, we had professions in Haiti, studied in Haiti, and are treated like trash here. Vital (another Haitian) was a chemistry teacher over there, and here, he cleans up trash at the plaza. We don´t have money, we don´t speak this language, all we have are 2 hands that can work. And we have to pay rent, food, and figure out how to provide for our wives as well."
We had come into the house with plans of teaching the Plan of Salvation to them, but I couldn´t help but think of a principle of the Gospel that comes with a specific promise that applies directly to this situation.
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that theremay be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith,saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windowsof heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall notbe room enough to receive it.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that theremay be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith,saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windowsof heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall notbe room enough to receive it.
Yep. We took a leap of faith and decided to teach the Law of the Tithe. I was grateful that my companion went with the teaching, and trusted in The Spirit. One missionary trusting in The Spirit can´t do a wholeeee lot if his companion isn´t on board. My comp is on board. He´s the man.
We read the story of Abraham and Isaac, which also seemed to directly apply to the situation of Hatians and Paying Tithing. And....they ALL committed to pay tithing at the beginning of August! They´re not even members of the church! (not even sure if that´s allowed...) BUT I know that The Lord will bless them for their faith, and they they WILL receive blessings for their faithfulness. I am convinced that "blind faith" is faith in it´s purest form. They will be blessed for blindly exercising their faith.
That was my week! I am grateful to be serving where I am, I really do love these people and love the work that I have been given the opportunity to participate it. Now on to another week.
Woo!
Elder Hixon
No comments:
Post a Comment