Some of you may be asking yourselves, what? has the man gone mad?! This email is on Tuesday!
Let your hearts not be troubled, we split our P Day into 2 days so that we can go see Tito's grave and the Nikola Tesla museum, so I have a few quick minutes to send out this general. Luckily, I don't have much to say.
It's been snowing, and it's bloody cold. (Serving with an Australian)
Beograd is my city. I love it here, and I have loved all of the time I have spent here. This Friday we get transfer calls. If I stay, then I will be elated to continue my service here (and I will have to give a talk in 2 weeks) and if I leave, (no talk) and I will be ready to serve somewhere else on the Balkan for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
That being said, I want to say that my service here really isn't about me. And I have the proof to back it, because we taught a whopping total of 2 lessons this week. We have had the least visible success this last few weeks than I have ever had on my mission. The joyous experiences of missionary work, that of being a part of the conversion of individuals and families, seeing the Atonement WORK, and carrying them into the waters of baptism, their first step on the road of covenant making, are enough of a reason to serve the Lord; there are scarcely better feelings than these. I have had a small few of these experiences, but I would like to share briefly an even better feeling, and the reason why I am on a mission. Lehi, one of the first Prophet-historians of the Book of Mormon said once that 'The Lord commanded, and I MUST obey.'
The truest joy of missionary work, even of all the work we accomplish in this life, is found in obedience to a higher power. When we obey, we are blessed, and the joy that fills those blessings drives us to more obedience, and thus a cycle of happiness. When the Adversary beats down upon us in this physical world, with all sorts of oppression, rejection, abuse, sorrow, heartache, and loss, we cannot be deterred off course, and we cannot forget that joy which has filled our hearts when we obeyed He who gave us life freely, and gave His life to us freely. The physical upsets will pass when they have filled their purpose, and we will be left and it will be required of us an accounting of our obedience.
The reason I am serving here is found in the joy I find each night as I offer communion to the Lord through prayer and give Him an accounting of what I have done, repent of the things I need to do better in, and ask what else is required of me, and then listening for the Spirit on my knees as I am brought the peace and assurance of being where I am supposed to be, doing what I am supposed to be doing.
Regardless of all else, THAT is success to me.
Let's see what this week brings, and on we go!
Love,
Elder Hixon


You do know Bloody is an Australian swear word don't you? :) That being said from
ReplyDeleteyour grandma I will add you make me SMILE. Love your excitement and energy that you
expel through your blogs. The people you serve are truly blessed. We love you Elder Hixon!!!!