WELL. I am back. Sorta.
Previously, in the life of Jacob Hixon:
After you guys dropped me at the port, I did my usual thing and boarded an airplane. That was cool, and en route to Chicago I got to see a BEAUTIFUL view of downtown Chicago as we flew over the semi frozen great lake. It was so legit. Then, after I landed I was looking forward (not) to that long and lonely layover, when I bumped into a tag wearing gentleman. Which was weird, because all traveling missionaries would've already traveled before Wednesday afternoon....and then I saw his last name on his English tag, Elder Leppanen (with those cool two dots over the A).
I started talking to him, and turns out he had just finished his mission in Minnesota, and he is from Finland. His name is Eeki, and we ate lunch and talked the whole 5 hours, boarded the same plane (he helped me when I nearly got ready to go to Dubai or something) to London, and then we hung out in London until we parted ways. What a cool guy, and a tremendous blessing for a very disoriented and anxious and scared young missionary (me). He's legit, and I now have a friend in Finland :)
So then I flew to Zagreb. It was good to smell that freshly cigaretted Balkan air, and it was COLD. The Goodsells picked me up from the airport as promised, which was such a good reunion, and they proceeded to drive me to the chapel in Zagreb, where the Christmas conference was taking place. When I pulled up (looking as fresh to death as the living can get) President Rowe came out with Sister Rowe. Bishop nailed it when he described how that meeting would unfold, and it was an incredible feeling that I can't describe to be welcomed back by him. Tears all around!! He then took me inside, and had me wait back while he went to announce a Christmas surprise to the missionaries all assembled. My heart was pounding as he did so, and then I walked out and let me tell you, Bruce Wayne has never walked into a party with such a reception. It was an uproar, and especially my missionaries from my MTC group. Seeing them again blew me away. It was about as close as I know to when we die and pass into the next life and meet our loved ones again. I couldn't have been happier. Elder Sheridan and Elder McAllister and Sister Brothersen and Sister Matthews and Sister Mortensen were there and it was just the best day of my life, hands down. I missed Sister Crump by a few days as she is in Macedonia for a month or so, just being the warrior champ she is filling in, and Sister Flanders because she has a Visa problem that has her stuck in Slovenia until she goes home for good. Yikes.
So that was a good time. The night was young and yet we all went our separate ways. Sort of. I went back to the Rowe's.
Quick stories. I was able to work for a little bit with Elder Sheridan, and that was pretty fun (he's AP so he lives here in Zagreb) and man our MTC teachers would have been proud!! Elder Sheridan and I strolling around town 11 months later! He is way good at the language now, hot dang. I have work to do.
Also, there was another very visible miracle, (more so than I have already shared).
When I landed, President Rowe pulled me aside after a bit and told me that there was a situation unfolding. There was an Elder here who was going home early for belated confession. He did not know that when President told me (the elder) he was waiting to find out whether he was going to have to or not (like I did). President said he was going to tell him after the conference, and that he would be staying at the Rowe's that night and the next day, and I would be too. It was timed so perfectly, and I had the opportunity to spend time with him and tell him how my story went and how it felt, gave him the reality and advice for being back, encouraging pep talks or what have you. It was a humbling experience, to see that I was needed the very day that I arrived. He is an awesome guy, and it was good to be with him up until we saw him off early Saturday morning. What a blessing being a part of that experience was.
I hung out with the twins (the Rowe's twins) for a little while that Saturday morning, and Sister Rowe joined us and we made German Pancakes and had real syrup ) Sister Rowe made it. SO GOOD.
Then President Rowe called me up to his office. We had a good talk, and then he told me the earth shattering news. There is another Elder here who is having medical problems. He is serving in Zagreb, and he needs to be at the mission home for a week or so.....
so that means President Rowe asked me to serve in Zagreb.
Zagreb. Croatia.
So here I am! The current arrangement is that I serve here with Elder Bennet (he went into the MTC end of July) until Saturday. I was told I can then return home to Beograd, but we will see depending on the other Elder's health. Prayers, my friends!
That's basically it. Elder Bennett is cool. He is hard working so this week should go well. We had a lesson with an inactive member on Saturday, and we have two lessons scheduled with investigators tonight. My Serbian is thick here (which just means I say certain things that get weird looks) and my language is decent enough. I can still understand conversations, be it that I pick them apart when I don't know certain words, and people can understand whatever I say. So that's good.
The Zagreb branch is 20 active members or so more than Beograd's and it is incredible. There is a large Primary (10 to 12 I think?) and they got to have a showdown with Santa on Saturday night. Being with this Branch has reset my resolve for the work in Beograd. It has been incredible and beyond words.
It has been very hard though. Likely one of the hardest things I have ever done. Adjusting is wrecking my body, and everything else. It feels harder this time, and I get homesick differently. I am just wanting to get through it at times. Its also hard that Elder Wade and Adams and Marks and everyone else I knew is already home. That can get tough. I think of the good old days in Beograd, and I know they won't ever be exactly as they were with the new people. But work gets those thoughts away!
Gotta move forward, as with all things!
Gotta move forward, as with all things!
Lastly, I love and miss you all. Keep on the work on the home front (or the other abroad fronts....or wherever).
Love,
Elder Hixon (check that out)
Elder Hixon (check that out)
Mom, P.S.
My new temporary comp had us deep clean the apartment this morning. Thought you would like that. It was....nice. I think I am going to learn a lot this week with this elder.
Just awesome. So excited to hear your stories, and see what else the Lord has planned for you and those whose lives you touch!
ReplyDelete